Saturday 23 June 2012

Final blog by Brianna Fruean

L-R Kathleen Leewai and Brianna Fruean

Brianna Fruean, a 14 year old environment advocate has worked as part of the Pacific Rio+20 media team, this is her last blog post of a journey that has been documented while in Rio (column on right)

"It’s now time to say good bye to Rio. An event that I aimed for is now a memory that I’ll never forget. I was so lucky to have been given this opportunity to attend Rio+20. Today I am grateful, happy and I have no regrets. I am honoured to have been in the Samoan delegation and proudly represent our youth. Yesterday I met the Ulu of Tokelau,it meant so much to me because my grandma is full Tokelauan so I am glad that I got to meet his Excellency. Rio+20 has been a chance of a lifetime to share with the Pacific my experience through my eyes.

From my last perspective, Rio+20 is a promise, it’s a promise to the islands, it’s a promise to the youth, it's a promise to all those affected by the doings of mankind. There were a lot of people around the conference today saying that they were disappointed with the outcomes of Rio+20. My opinion is that signatures on a document will not save the world but going out there and actually doing something about it,will.

This conference has taught me what real hard work means. It was hard work but I will do it all over again in a heartbeat.

I am humbled and thankful for all the support from my friends, family, my Samoan community, 350 Aotearoa, Samoa Observer and of course the generous help of PACMAS, SPREP who helped bring me here.

To my team that brought me to Rio,thank you from the bottom of my heart, this experience I will take with me wherever I go from here. You know what they say “all good things must come to an end” and this is the end of my blogs from Brazil. Rio+20 is now over for me,but not for things to come. I have learnt so much and met so many wonderful people. It’s hard to say goodbye but I leave Rio with no regrets but only good memories and hope for the future."




No comments:

Post a Comment